10 August 2009

Master List – 101 Things in 1,001 Days [Revised and Bumped]

Confession: I am a compulsive goal-setter, but only a sometimes goal-achiever. It’s not that I’m lazy, and it’s not that I don’t actually intend to meet these goals; my main problem is that I'm forever setting new goals on top of the old goals and losing sight of the old ones. That is to say, I suppose, that I've lacked a sort of connective tissue to keep them organized and trackable, and thus achievable.

I found out about
101/1001 by reading a friend's blog, and I think it sounds like just the sort of thing that might help me get many of these goals accomplished. So here, with thanks to Allison (even for her format), is my list of 101 goals to accomplish in the next 1,001 days.

(Note: [LINK] and [LIST] are notes to myself to post those items publicly. They go live as I post the lists or have a page to link to.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start Date: 03-Dec-2007
End Date: 30-Aug-2010

# Complete: 48
# In Progress: 17

101 in 1001 [1/1]:
1.
Complete my list of 101 specific, quantifiable, challenging-but-achievable goals. (101/101)

Health [5/11, 1]:
1. Get my cholesterol checked.
2.
Make my own (not pre-packaged) meals for 14 days.
3. Set up a 5 day/week workout regimen.
4. Wake up at 6am every day for 2 weeks. (0/14)
5.
Get new glasses. [LINK]
6.
Give up soda for a month.
7. Complete some sort of detox fast/diet.
8.
Find a PCP in Nashville.
9. Run a 5k.
10. Run a 10k.
11. Get fitted for running shoes.

Faith [3/11, 1]:
1. Ke
ep a prayer journal for 12 consecutive weeks, to remind me of God's work in my life.
2. Read major confessions, creeds, and statements of Christian faith.
[LIST and Reaction]
3.
Read the whole book of Psalms. (9/150)
4. Go on a retreat at
Our Lady of Gethsemani.
5.
Get more involved at church.
6. Read Knowledge of the Holy
7. Read No Man Is An Island
8. Read Life Together
9. Read Surprised By Joy
10. Read Surprised By Hope
11. Read Ragamuffin Gospel

Family and Friends [5/7, 2]:
1.
Email or talk to Mary every month while she's in Russia. (11/11)
2. Call mom and dad once a week for at least half a year.
3. 5 phone calls (no agenda but to talk) to friends who don't live in Nashville. (2/5)
4. Take a trip to Boston that includes firm plans for at least 3 one-on-one get-togethers with friends.
5. Complete 4 generations of genealogy research and documentation on both sides of my family, to the extent that the information is accessible without travel to Ireland, England, or Greece.
6. Make a substantial dent in the junk I've left behind at my parents' house in NH. Be ruthless.
7. Consolidate all of my contacts into Address Book.

Travel [4/13, 2]:
1. to New Orleans
2. to NYC
3. to Chicago (Kurt Elling @ Green Mill, and Wrigley Field are bonuses)
4. to Boston (non-holiday)
5. to Atlanta, GA
6. to Charleston, SC
7. to Savannah, GA
8. make plans to travel somewhere outside of the US, Canada, and Mexico. (Oct '10)
9. oh yeah, and finally get my passport
10. Visit Joe Raposo's grave in Chatham, MA, and leave something in tribute. (July/Aug '09)
11. Go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.
12. Check out Chatanooga (and Lookout Mountain?).
13. Drive the whole Natchez Trace.

Learn [2/10, 4]:
1. Find a voice teacher and get back in shape.
2. Take ballroom dancing lessons.
3. the difference between Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, from someone who really knows.
4. Memorize 2 German poems.
5. Take a writing class through Gotham Writer’s Workshop.
6. Take an acting class.
7. To change the oil in my car.
8. To drive stick.
9. Take a golf lesson
10. Apply to grad school for 2010-11.

Music [2/3, 1]:
1. Audition for Nashville Symphony Chorus
2. Audition for Nashville Opera Chorus
3. Have 50 songs ready for jazz jams.

Write [2/5]:
1. one poem/day for a month, even if it's crap. Even if it's a haiku. (0/30)
2. a letter to the editor of some publication. [LINK]
3. letters to Mrs. Reyer, my 4th grade teacher; Mr. O'Reilly, my high school AP Euro History teacher; Coach Murphy, my high school lacrosse coach; and David Ripley, my first voice coach.
4. the rules to Gizzo down, once and for all. And laminate them.
5. the beginnings of a history of The Hyannis Sound, to be completed (hopefully) for the 20-yr in 2014.

Try [1/2]:
1. Top 10 Bourbons by value, as determined by
bluekitchen.net. [LIST]
2. Some type of foreign cuisine that I'm otherwise too scared to try.

Work [3/4, 1]:
1.
Contact 10 print music publishers for 5 Scribes.
2. Contact 50 bands and offer to write their bios.
3. Get paid for something I wrote.
4. Create and launch my own website from scratch.

Nashville [9/19, 2]:
1.
See a show at 20 different Nashville venues. [LIST]
2. Go to the Symphony.
3. Go to Nashville Opera.
4. See show @ TPAC. (MND @ Nashville Ballet April '10)
5. Go to Bachanalia. (Mar '10)
6. Go to the Frist.
7. Season tix @ Nashville Symphony.
8. Member @ Frist/Cheekwood.
9. Member WPLN.
10. Arrington Vineyards
11. Gallery Crawl
12. Pick fruit at a TN farm/orchard.
13. Play 3 Nashville golf courses. (2/3)
14. Go to the Musicians Hall of Fame.
15. Go to a Nashville Sounds game.
16. Go to a Vanderbilt football, basketball, or baseball game.
17. Go to a Predators or Titans game.
18. Go to a Friday night high school football game.
19. Hike all 4 trails at Radnor Lake State Park.

Do [3/5, 1]:
1. Finish researching SEC schools so I can confidently choose my team. [LINK]
2. Watch 50 of the AFI’s 100 Best Movies of All-Time. (16/50) [LIST]
3. Watch a presidential debate before the primary.
4. Get my digital camera fixed.
5. Create a comprehensive and up--to-date log of all service done to my car since I've owned it.

Get [2/3, 1]:

1.
my license plates changed over to TN.
2. another tattoo.
3. pictures taken. Pictures I like, and can give to family, use on websites, or in publications.

Simplify [5/5]:
1.
Get rid of books that I haven't thought about in a year.
2. Finish scanning my magazines so I can recycle them and reduce clutter.
3. Get rid of clothes I don't wear.
4. Sell or give away a pile of CDs I don't care about.
5. Sell or give away a pile of DVDs/VHS that I don't care about.

Loose Ends [1/2, 1]:
1.
Complete remaining Gen Eds
2. Schedule and take remaining CBXs at Berklee

3 comments:

Robdul said...

You can do it man. Maybe you can even include me in your 5 day a week workout regimen. Even 2 days out of 5.

Just sayin.

Heather Grace said...

wow, james! this is an awesome list... i'm looking at the website and contemplating making my own. i'm a bit scared of it though. perhaps my first task should be to get over my fear of doing it :)
see you thursday... or perhaps before. you never know when we might show up at bongo at the same time.

Unknown said...

very cool! i only just realized this blog format when i watched Julie & Julia!
good luck!
xox
www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com