17 January 2008

Update - January Seventeen

Here's a quick update on my 101:

- ordered new glasses (two pair!) from ZenniOptical.com ("Health" #5)
- started reading The Reivers (1963) ("Read" #1)
- read The Apostles' Creed, The Nicene Creed, and the 95 Theses (3/5 of "Faith" #4)
- read Psalms 1-9 (9/150 of "Faith" #5)
- saw Heypenny at The Basement ("Nashville" #1)

I'm really excited about the glasses; it's part of an experiment of mine, both fashion-wise (with trendy, plastic frames) and bargain hunting-wise (2 pairs with shipping = $47.90). Erin warned me about the dangers of ordering things like glasses online, but I disagree (the benefit outweighs the risk anyway, I think), and will be interested to see how well these glasses work out.

Also, because I've read the psalms before, and have caught myself skipping lines, zoning out, and re-reading passages, I'm recording myself reading them aloud, in the hope of having them ring truer than they do as just words on a page. I remember vividly hearing this young woman recite a good chunk of Philippians once, and thinking how beautiful scripture was when spoken aloud conversationally, rather than academically. I'm just trying to make them come to life a little more, and maybe to reach David's heart a little more, by trying to capture his tone at the time of writing. We'll see. Obviously it's kinda geeky, and I do it when no one else is in the house, but it's an interesting project, and that's what this whole thing is about, right? :)

No comments: